Thursday 8 July 2010

A New Frontier

I must confess, I have never been a fan of the Western genre. Much like golf or The Eagles, it's always seemed like something your Dad had to get you into. The only western I've actually seen is Sergio Leone's Once Upon in the West, which is highly regarded as one of the best westerns ever made.

I didn't get it.

Maybe it was the 3 hour length, or the agonisingly long shots of people's eyeballs, or the somewhat wooden acting courtesy of Charles Bronson. Who knows, it just wasn't a genre I was in a hurry to revisit.















The Eagles. A band only a father could love.


Having recently played a certain computer game for 30 hours straight (do I need to mention which one?), I now have an invested interest to give the Western another chance. But where to begin? This is new territory for me. There are literally hundreds of films out there waiting to be discovered and potentially loved.

I have decided to split the Western Genre into 3 notable categories: The old west, The Clint Eastwood era, and Modern. I will watch a distinguished film from each category and put them to the Snobbery-of-Rich test and see which one comes out top. A little Film experiment. Anyone else excited? Nope? Well alrighty.















John Marston. If Carlsberg did Cowboys.

No comments:

Post a Comment